So. October 7th of this year, my life changed.
A police officer and some woman accompanying him came to my door about dinner time. They confirmed my name.
They confirmed that I had a daughter… had.
The police officer then went on to tell me : “I’m sorry to inform you but your daughter passed away this afternoon”
This was the Friday of the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I was told that being a long weekend the coroner probably wouldn’t call until Tuesday so just ‘spend time with family now, because not much can be done until Tuesday’.
Since that day, what have I accomplished (no I did not wait til Tuesday)
- Choosing the funeral director
- Choosing cemetery.
- Choosing a casket.
- Choosing to have open casket pior to the service
- Choosing to then go to the cemetery for the burial
- Choosing to have open house following the burial at my home
- Signed off on a 10,000.00 bill
- Got the date picked by confirming that my son can get time off from school
- Confirmed that the date works for the Cemetery and for the Church.
- Meeting with the Priest and Deacon
- Went to cemetery with daughter’s boyfriend to pick out a plot.
- In the works – arranging the pictures so that we can have a musical montage
Life is so impermanent.
Any second can be your last. Any words can be the last a person hears.